Friday, November 26, 2010

Green Bean Casserole (sans soup)

If you like green bean casserole, but would rather make it without canned soup, try this recipe.  I'm not judging...if you like using the soup, please continue to do so without feeling any pressure from me to change.  I'm not a snob, I've just been forced to go old school because of my daughter's food allergies.  I can't help it if making mine from scratch makes me better than you.

 I forgot to take a photo of my casserole.  The best I could find was this horrible blown up
one that could be anything really (rice, stuffing, quinoa, booger fricassee).  Sorry about that.

Here's a photo of my pretty, colorful gravy boat to make it up to you.


  GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
(Yield:  6-8 servings)

Ingredients
4-5 cups green beans, ends trimmed
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup crushed buttery crackers (like Pepperidge Farm butterflies)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup sour cream
¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Procedure
Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish (if doubling, use a 9” x13” baking dish).
1.      Steam green beans to desired tenderness.
2.      Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
3.      In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in cracker crumbs and set aside.
4.      Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, onion and sugar; heat and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat; add sour cream and cheese and stir until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes (do not boil).  Fold in the beans.
5.      Spread into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs.  Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through and golden on top.

adapted from Betty Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment