Friday, December 24, 2010

Cranberry Hootycreeks

M E R R Y  C H R I S T M A S ! 

This is one of those recipes that's all over the internet without a copyright (so I don't know who came up with it first). I do know they're delicious, fun to say and make a nice gift when the ingredients are layered in a jar (along with a tag that explains how to bake them--see instructions below).  Don't ask me what a hootycreek is, I have no idea.

UPDATE 6/3/20: I found out recently that this recipe originated from Susan O'Dell (see the comments section below). She says she posted it first on allrecipes.com (see the post here). I don't see any earlier hootycreek posts, so I'll take her word for it, unless someone else proves her wrong. Thanks for the recipe Susan!

CRANBERRY HOOTYCREEKS
Yield
: 18 cookies

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans


1.   Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
2.   In a medium bowl, beat together butter, egg and vanilla extract until fluffy.
3.   Add the remaining ingredients, and mix together by hand until well blended.
4.   Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on baking sheets, or remove to cool on wire racks.

I gave this as a gift, along with some already baked
cookies so they would know what they taste like
(free samples...that's how you reel them in and get them hooked)!
____________________________________________________________________________

FOR GIFTING:
layer in a 1-quart (or 1 liter) jar, in this order:
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
____________________________________________________________________________

Remember to add a tag with instructions (mine looked something like this):


CRANBERRY HOOTYCREEKS
Yield: 18 cookies

You’ll need to add:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.   Preheat oven to 350º F.
2.   In a large bowl, cream together butter, egg & vanilla extract.
3.   Add the entire jar of ingredients and mix together by hand until well blended.
4.   Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.

the actual, real life tag
front view
hootycreek pileup (someone get my banjo, I feel a song coming on)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan - we loved these cookies and the presentation. I'm ready to make our own batch now. Thanks for the gift and the recipe. Becky

Anonymous said...

I made a batch this afternoon from your jar. I love them. Becky

Susan O'Dell said...

I was the original submitter to AllRecipes.com. It was published in at least two of their cookbooks before I lost the email account associated with the submission. Now, it is everywhere. Mind boggling! A hootycreek is the name of my street. They were born on this road, so they got the odd name. I am glad they are enjoyed so much by so many.

Susan said...

Thank you for letting me know Susan...I updated the post (see above)! Your cookies are delicious. I appreciate it! Best, Susan

Post a Comment