Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fingerling Potatoes with Olives and Lemon

When I sat down to write this post, I looked up fingerlings on the internet. Imagine my surprise when I found out (according to Wikipedia) that part of last night's dinner was potentially fatal! Here's exactly what it said: Consuming improperly cooked or uncooked fingerling potatoes may result in fatal solanine poisoning. I was a bit taken aback when I first read that. But then after it sunk in, I realized there was an up side to this news. Since I'm still alive, I must have cooked the fingerlings properly. Nice. So if you want to make fingerlings (and live to talk about it), I suggest you do what I did (exactly what I did).


FINGERLING POTATOES WITH OLIVES AND LEMON
Makes 4 servings

1 lb. fingerling (or small red) potatoes, peeled if desired, then halved lengthwise
1/4 cup pitted green olives (such as picholine or arbequina), chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 (3” x 1”) strips lemon zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
________________________________________________________________________

1.      Toss potatoes, olives, oil, lemon zest, cumin, salt and pepper in a 10-inch heavy skillet.
2.      Cover skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove lid and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
3.      Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

adapted from Shelley Wiseman

fingerlings
green olives
lemon zest
everything added to the pan
cooked until fork tender
(make sure you stir occasionally to keep the potatoes from sticking)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment