Friday, July 22, 2011

Dean & Deluca's Tuna Sandwich

Dean & Deluca is a fancy schmancy (not to mention pricey) gourmet/specialty food shop. I used to live near their flagship store in NYC, so occasionally I'd wander in and ogle all the wondrous kitchen gadgets that were way out of my price range. On rare occasions I'd splurge and leave with an extravagant (and no doubt luscious) treat tucked under my arm. I never tasted their tuna sandwich, but I was intrigued when I stumbled upon the recipe. I have to say, it's definitely up there on my list of good, solid tuna sandwiches I've had (for the record, I don't actually keep a list of those).


DEAN & DELUCA'S TUNA SANDWICH
WITH CARROTS, RED ONION, AND PARSLEY
Makes 3-4 sandwiches

2 (6 oz.) cans drained chunk white tuna in water
3 tablespoons finely chopped carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 large scallion, finely chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
3 rolls
lettuce and tomato as accompaniments
____________________________________________________________________

1.      Place the drained tuna in a large bowl. Mash. Add carrots, onion, parsley, celery, and scallions.
2.      Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add the crushed garlic clove and lemon juice.
3.      Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tuna. Mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4.      Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato.

by David Rosengarten with Joel Dean & Giorgio DeLuca (from The Dean and Deluca Cookbook)
drained tuna
chopped carrot
chopped celery
everything but the mayo mixture

Actually, I didn't realize until I was captioning this photo
that I forgot the parsley. At least I can tell you that it's
pretty damn good, even if you don't have parsley handy.
adding the mayo (next time I'll do this step
more gradually, it was just a little too much)
tuna salad spread on a roll
tuna salad topped with lettuce and tomato
sandwich up close

.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hoity-toity maybe. Artsy-fartsy never! ;)

Post a Comment