Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mock Chopped Liver

I realize this looks like cat food on a cracker, but really it's just fake chopped liver (when I put it that way, please pass the cat food). Actually, I'll go out on a limb here and say that this is better than Fancy Feast, which I'm relieved to report, I've never tasted. (Wow, I really know how to talk up a recipe.)

This one is for all those vegetarians & vegans out there who want to join in all the chopped liver fun during the Jewish holidays, but can't. Anyone? No one? Then I guess it's for those of you who are grossed out by the sheer idea of chopped liver, because, you know, it's liver. (Now I know you're out there.) Or maybe it's just for me because I'm not crazy about chopped liver, but I like this. Call it mushroom paté if that helps make it more appealing. Closing your eyes couldn't hurt either.


MOCK CHOPPED LIVER
Makes approx. 3 ½ cups

1 cup walnuts
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, minced
1 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean
2-3 pinches sea salt


1.      Preheat oven to 325˚ F.  Spread walnuts on a sheetpan and toast for about 10 minutes (or until golden brown).  Set aside to cool completely.
2.      Heat oil in large skillet and sauté onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 25 minutes).
3.      Grind walnuts finely in food processor, making sure to stop before it turns into nut butter.
4.      Mince mushrooms in food processor.
5.      Add mushrooms to onions in skillet and cook until they become soft and water is released.  Add ground walnuts and salt; cook 2-3 minutes.
6.      Optional: Blend mixture in food processor if you like an extra creamy texture.
7.      Refrigerate; serve cold with matzo or other crackers.

I got this recipe from a vegetarian Passover class I took with Jan Snyder at The Natural Gourmet Institute in 1997. There was no copyright on it. I tried to contact Jan Snyder to see if this recipe was originally hers, but I wasn't able to find her. So I'm not exactly sure who the actual author is. I hope she doesn't mind that I posted it (thanks Jan).

chopped onions
caramelized onions
toasted, cooled walnuts
finely chopped walnuts
chopping the mushrooms (I just break them up with
my fingers a little before I put them in the food processor)
finely chopped mushrooms
mushrooms and onions cooking
adding the walnuts
mock chopped liver
in a bowl (here kitty, kitty)
on a piece of matzo
.

No comments:

Post a Comment