Friday, November 23, 2012

Cranberry, Apple and Fresh Ginger Chutney

When I first saw the title of this recipe, I was immediately drawn to the apple and fresh ginger. Then as I scanned down, I noticed some onion and celery snuck in there. I couldn't help but think the author should have led with that. It was sort of like telling a friend about the nasty paper cut that's been bothering you, but not mentioning you're having open heart surgery in the morning. Okay, it's nothing like that, but it's definitely a weird omission. Anyway, I had to make it and see if there was any way this could work. So I did. But I did make back up. Two in fact, because I'm both obsessive and indecisive. Then I had my Thanksgiving guests do a taste test. And the shocker...this cranberry sauce won. And just in case you're wondering, the other ones were good. So it's not like this was the least horrible of the three. I liked it...it tastes kind of like someone accidentally got a little stuffing in your cranberry sauce.


CRANBERRY, APPLE, AND FRESH GINGER CHUTNEY
Makes 8 servings

4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup water
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup chopped Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup finely chopped celery 
_____________________________________________________________________

1.      Combine the cranberries, raisins, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat until berries start to pop, about 5 minutes.
2.      Add the onion, apple, and celery; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken, 5 to 10 more minutes. Transfer to a container and cool slightly.
3.      Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blossom.

from allrecipes.com (submitted by foodelicious)
ginger, onion, apple, celery and cranberries
cranberries
cranberries, raisin, sugars, spices and water
mixed
cranberries starting to pop
adding onions, celery and apple

Next time I might cook the onion and celery a little
first to soften them (although my friends remarked
that they kind of liked the texture this way).
mixed
thickened
cranberry, apple and fresh ginger chutney
.

No comments:

Post a Comment